Krista's Story

Updated: Dec 15, 2018

Hi my name is Krista. I am 30 years old and I have three years sober by the grace of God. 

I like to start off my story by saying that I was born with the disease of addiction. At 16 years old I started drinking and by 18 I had graduated to cocaine and ecstasy. I never truly believed that I had a problem because, I could always hold down a job and I wasn't homeless.

At the age of 20, I joined the Army and became pregnant with my now 8 year old son, when I was 21. Over the next two years my self worth had slowly diminished. I decided to help a close friend try and get clean from heroin. It was then I used the drug for the first time. I did not believe that I was like her because, I told myself that was never going to use a needle and I knew I could stop if I wanted to. 

Over the course of eight months I went from sniffing a little on the weekends, to snorting 10 bags a day.  It was then that I decided to shoot up, my disease told me that I still was not like them, I could stop if I want to... I didn’t want to. I hated myself, I hated who I had become.  In April 2013, I put a needle in my arm for the first time. Over the course of the next two years prostitution, theft and drug use consumed me... I had hit rock bottom.

Finally, I decided to make a change and admit that I was a heroin addict.  This was when I started my recovery. It was a long, hard road. I went to inpatients, detox, outpatient, three different halfway houses and mental health. After a violation of probation I entered into Drug treatment court with Judge John Demarco. This gave me the structure I needed to continue to the last halfway house I completed, at Liberty Manor, through Catholic family Center. It was an intense, six month program here in Rochester, New York. Upon entering that Program, I decided that I was going to take advice from anybody wearing a badge, that had more experience than I did.  I entered into alcoholic anonymous and now attend Heroin anonymous. I got a sponsor and I worked for 12 steps thoroughly.

On November 2, 2015 I picked up heroin for the last time. I had 14 months of sobriety with no program and relapsed again. I was found unresponsive, having overdosed in an abandoned city house. Lt. John Vagg and his crew of Rochester City firefighters and EMT's Narcaned me and saved my life. 

Today I am a mother, a student at Brockport University, and I work full-time for Catholic Family Services,the same organization that gave me a second chance at recovery. I have my eight-year-old son, a five-month-old baby, an amazing fiancée and God to thank for it all. Without him and the heroes that saved my life, I would be dead or in jail. I am so thankful for all of our first responders counselor and sponsors!!!!!

Krista with new baby

60 views0 comments